Thursday, August 23, 2012

Why Tonya is who she is

I have always wanted to be a teacher.  I remember teaching my teddy bears and stuffed animals when I was in elementary school.  I also set up a horse riding class in high school.

My passion was science.  I wanted to be a biology teacher right up until Dr. Thomas showed me all the math involved in being a science major.  Not knowing what to do my concentration in, I chose the discipline that would only take me four years to complete.  So, here I am, an English major. 

During my past three years, Dr. Tebbetts and Dr. Boling has influenced me the most.  I learned I could write professionally through Dr. Tebbetts.  I learned I had a love for Shakespeare through Dr. Boling.  If I decide to specialize in an English subject, it would be Shakespeare.  I am excited the Common Core has a section on Shakespeare.  My current co-teacher has already told me she wants me to teach that section.

I plan to get my masters in something, but I haven't decided if it will be in English or teaching.  Maybe I will master both.  I eventually want to teach English in a 2-year college or community college or become a principal of a school.

I look forward to learning everything I can from Mrs. Gillmore.  She is so knowledgeable and has so much to teach us.

1 comment:

Tammy Gillmore said...

Welcome to Methods! I look forward to working and learning with you!