Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Japanese Model

As I pondered on our reading of Carol Jago's chapter six "Lesson Design for Classical Literature" from her professional development book entitled Classics in the Classroom, I just had to pause and comment on a few of her points.

First, what the coincidence that she uses Japan as an example of teacher professional development.  Right, Trent?

So very interesting how they provide professional development, pd based on the premise that "successful teachers are the best teachers of teachers."  True.  The teachers themselves identify a problem and then plan a lesson that addresses this concern.  One teacher demonstrates the lesson for the other teachers, who critique. Then revisions are made.  As Jago notes, "One of the most powerful outcomes of this lesson study process is that teachers develop a shared language for describing and analyzing classroom practices."

Just have to note here, that this, too, is the premise of Lyon College and this class.  When asked if would teach Methods for Secondary English, I had to acknowledge that my masters degree is not in English.  Quickly, the reply came, "You are in the classroom teaching English, aren't you?"

Yes, as a matter of fact, I am.

In my situation in my current school, I would love for this to happen, for I spend hours creating lesson plans for my classes.  Yes, hours.  "Americans ascribe virtue to individual effort and originality, but the longer I am in this profession, the more I am convinced that we need to spend more time working together toward a common goal."  Those are Jago's words, but they might as well be mine, for I wholeheartedly support this also.

Another echo I hear of Jago's is "I still can't write lesson plans for more than a week in advance."  Map out the skills to be taught?  Yes.  Create the big picture of a grading period?  Yes.  Begin with the end in mind?  Yes. But detailed, down-to-the-minute lesson plans?  No?  If I have learned anything in twenty-one-plus years of teaching, it's that every class is different, and interruptions are just the norm.

Our department is working closer than it ever has.  That I appreciate, yet I want more.  More for myself as a teacher and more for my students.  More.

No comments: