Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Why I am Who I am...

Why I am Who I am...

Becoming a Teacher



It was a combination of several things which I experienced and discovered about myself that led me to know I wanted to be an English teacher. My innate love of literature, a certain mentor, and  a stubborn streak are ultimately what brought me here. 

I've always loved books. My absolute favorite time of year in elementary school was the book fair! I still have a unicorn picture book that I purchased in first grade that had sticker jewels you could put on the pages. I read it to my own kids now from time to time. As an uncertain, introverted child and teenager, the characters of novels became my friends and role models. I climbed the china-berry tree  with Scout, Jem, and Dill. I went to Hogwarts every September 1st with Harry, Ron, and Hermoine. My first love was Mr. Darcy. I discovered a secret garden with Miss Marry, Collin, and Dickon. It was these worlds which I would escape to that initially sparked my interest in pursuing a career of teaching English. 

Once in college, I became a bit unsure for a time that I was fit for teaching English, however. Then I met Dr. Tebbetts. It was this man's tenacious demeanor and absolute mastery of the art of teaching which rekindled the fire inside of me to pursue this career. If I can ever be half, even a quarter, of the teacher that that man is, I will have accomplished a great feat. 

And finally, a good stubborn streak can often be just the determination needed to finish accomplishing a dream. My father, bless him, though he loves me dearly, lets me know on every occasion possible that he doesn't agree with my choice to teach for a living. A successful entrepreneur and business man, he feels salary should be the number one reason for choosing a career. I, on the other hand, feel that being happy at the end of the day when one comes home is most important. Therefore, we agree to disagree, and I push onward towards my career goal because something in me wants to show him that even though I will probably never make as much money as he has, I will still be just as happy at the end of the day. 

These are simply a few of the people and experiences which have brought me to this point in my life, and I look forward to all that this future career holds for me. 

No comments: