Friday, September 11, 2009

Changes...

This past week has been my first in a new school. Changing environments midyear is disconcerting, stressful even, but I'm thankful to be where I am. I learn daily that my previous conceptions of myself were incomplete, sometimes even false. I'm learning that I love working with younger adolescents, whereas I previously thought I wanted to work with the oldest students I could. My logic behind this was pretty uppity too... I wanted to have the students capable of the deepest analysis in hopes of maintaining an intellectually stimulating environment for both my students and myself, but my earlier plans didn't account for fun within the classroom. Younger teenagers are just fun, and I'm learning that a capacity for fun is far more enjoyable to work with than a capacity for analytic thinking. I'm excited to be where I am now, which is a welcome relief. I usually hate change, but this time I'll admit it is a great thing.

No comments: