Monday, November 14, 2011

School Spirit

Throughout the school year, students have asked me to come to their sports games, and since I've been in class most evenings, this has been impossible. I really wanted to see my kids in action, so I was excited when one of  the seniors came in and told me there was going to be a game on a Saturday about a month from the current date. I was actually surprised he was so interested in me attending; before this time my rapport with the seniors wasn't very strong. In many ways I was more of an observer than a teacher in that class. But he definitely cared, and he checked back with me about once a week, reminding me about the game.

Last weekend the day arrived and my husband and I went to see them play. I knew the kids would be excited to see me, but I had no idea how excited I would be to see them. I was surprised by the sheer number of my students on the team. I knew many of my students were on the team, but there were really only one or two students on the team that I didn't know. The kids made the word "teamwork" sound like an understatement. Knowing, as I do, that they have grown up together since they were very young, I shouldn't be surprised, but it was almost as it they read each other's minds. I was proud to see them so passionate about something, and so successful, but the experience left me with one question-- how can I make them feel that way about English?

No comments: