Monday, September 2, 2013

Only Option in Life

Unlike most, I knew the first day of Kindergarten what I was going to be when I grew up: a teacher. My classmates named the classic answers while the teacher inquisitively looked at me and shook her head. I know it is weird for me so young to know what I wanted to be, but I knew looked at another option.

My parents quickly begin to realize that I was in love with school and built a school room for me behind our house and furnished it with everything from an overhead to desks. I had it made! I would "play" school every afternoon until Mom would have to call in to eat and do my homework.

In High School I realized that I had to actually take this desire and push it toward a career. I left my childish antics and started working on colleges and what degree I actually wanted. My sister graduated in 2000 from Lyon with a bachelor's degree in English. Since I worshiped the ground she walks on (and liked English) I decided on a bachelor's degree in English.

The double major in history was sparked by a very interesting man teaching my 10th grade world history. Mr. Sullivan was an extraordinary guy. He never taught the traditionally boring ways, but he always had the class involved. His lessons involved drawing out the lessons on the board (since was a fairly good artist) to having a paper ball fight to reenact World War I. There were never dull moments in his class.

When I arrived at Lyon my freshman year. I thought about all of these things and realized I wanted both of this options when it came time to teach. Starting in my freshman year, I worked towards a double major in history and English with an Education concentration. Seventeen years after that first initial day in Kindergarten I am still looking at my only option in life!

No comments: