Friday, September 6, 2013

Overly Concerned Students

This week in the classroom I had a flashback to my high school days, but I was on the other side of the fence this time. When I was in the 10th grade at Mountain View High School, the school bought in on a program that published grades online so that students could login and see their grades. It was a great program that was constantly check by me--a concerned student. If I experienced any problems with my grades I would confront the teacher and try and figure out why it was so low (since 80 was just the pits).

This week a student came in class and was concerned about one of her two grades she had completed so far. She had not completed the assignment as she should have. Mrs. Miller talked to her calmly and explained that she would have to do the future assignments according to the rubric laid out to receive full credit. Needless to say the student left the room sobbing because she would not change the grade.

I thought about this situation, my history, and the reaction of my teacher. I thought about how I would have treated the situation and what I should have done if it was me talking to the student. My first reaction was to feel sorry for the student and change the grade. I realized though that this make that student lose confidence in my ability to stick to my word. She probably would not have played that card to change future grades, but I could not open that possibility up to her.

I realized that I had just experience one of the hardest lessons as a teacher. I would have to be "heartless" and teach the students lessons that were not planned in the classroom. Responsibility plays a huge role in each of our lives and the students need to learn this as quickly as possible. I understand there are situations that need different treatment, but for the most part a teacher needs to stick with what he/she has required of all the students.

I also realized that there were going to be students out there that were going to be worried over every little grade and be in my face about those grades continually. I had never planned for this and was quite shocked there were other students like me when I was in high school. This little conversation that happened so quietly that I got to observe really opened my eyes to a different kind of student in the classroom. Not all students are going to want to float by on D's, but some are wanting the best!

No comments: