Wednesday, September 13, 2017

"She's My Teacher"

I've certainly had an interesting past week in the classroom. I was observed by Dr. Crosby for the first time which I feel went well. I've also begun to form relationships with some of my students and learn their unique personalities and tendencies. 

Dr. Crosby observed me last Friday. As it was the first time I would be teaching a full class by myself in the semester, I was a bit nervous to be observed. But, all went off without a hitch thanks to the help of my lovely mentor teacher who always ensures that class will function perfectly. I taught a lesson containing a writer's notebook topic over September 11th. I also covered International Literacy Day before covering Arthurian legends, language, and Sir Gawain and The Green Knight. The students were all so well behaved and cooperative. I couldn't have asked for a better observation. 

As the school weeks have progressed, I've also started to become acquainted with several of my students. This morning, I rounded the corner in the hall to find two students standing outside the classroom door. One was J***N and the other J***O. J***N is a very tall, talkative football player. J***O is another very tall student with a strong presence and tendency to talk and be disruptive. The two students put together are "double trouble" so-to-speak. But, when they saw me walking in their direction, both boys smiled at me and were excited to hear that I would be in charge of class for the day. J***N even announced "Hey, it's my teacher!," and J***O returned with, "She's our teacher." J***N corrected with "She's My teacher; she doesn't even like you." Of course, this was silly banter - no harm intended. I told both boys I was happy to see them and to teach them for the day. Did they continue to be their rowdy selves throughout class? Yes, they did. But, they were respectful and I appreciate their individual, though comical, personalities. 

Overall, this has been a successful first week of wetting my feet. I've become more familiar with planning the lessons for the class and with my students. My only hope is that by my next observation, I will have learned enough to have an ever better report.  

No comments: