Monday, November 2, 2009

Micromanaging as teaching?

My 8th grade class is wrapping up a unit on Edgar Allan Poe Over the next two weeks. Because of block scheduling, I've decided it's easier to think of lesson in 2 week groupings since 2 weeks allows me to see all classes 5 times. Anyways, I assigned a group project which asks groups to act out a Poe poem that we've read. Watching students work on these projects has been an interesting observation experience for me. I hate micromanaging, but as I watched Mrs. F help the groups, I realized that micromanaging is somewhat necessary at this age. The more I think about it though, the more I realize that this miromanaging is serving as a means to teach the students how to work on group projects independently. We ask them questions that force them to thinka bout the process of a group project, and by doing so, we lead them to understand the group process just a little better than before.

No comments: