Thursday, November 12, 2009

Teachers: Are we our own worst nightmare?

After attending the curriculum conference in Little Rock last week, I became acutely aware of teachers' inappropriate behavior in mass workshop settings. In just 4 hours, I saw more inappropriate cell phone usage, disruptive behavior, and downright rudeness than I have seen in close to 3 months of teaching 8th graders.

Why is it that teachers abandon every rule they set for children in their own classroom as soon as they enter someone else's? It astounded me that teachers could exhibit the very behaviors they complain so often about; they had, in fact, become their own worst nightmares.

3 comments:

Tammy Gillmore said...

Just do as I say...not as I do...right!?

Teachers often complain about not receiving the respect they feel they deserve...or NOT!

anti_fashion_mag_teacher said...

I have this problem with girls bringing and reading their fashion magazines in my class when I am teaching, (11TH Grade Math) I confiscate the magazines and inform the mother about the situation and I ask the mother how she feels about me disposing of the said mags. To get different viewpoints on this situation I have started up a blog on this blogger.com as shreddingfashionmagazines.blogspot.com

Please respond so that I can get some ideas

Thank You,

Leticia

onlinedegrees said...

Teachers need taught. They talk while other are talking, they chew with their mouth's open. I totally agree with you.