Sunday, October 19, 2014

Ain't Nobody Got Time for That...And That...And That....



To be honest, I’m not entirely sure what to say in this particular blog post. We are supposed to reflect on the lesson we did for our methods class. I think it went alright too, I suppose. Both of the lessons I did…because I did not look closely enough at the prompt. The lesson was supposed to be a writing lesson. I (and Haley) did a reading lesson. Well, technically it was an annotating lesson, but the point was that it was supposed to be teaching a way to write an informational or argumentative essay. And I definitely did not do that the first time around.

The second try was better, and, honestly, it was actually easier too. That’s strange to say, but I really only had to go over what you have to do for each section, make sure everyone had a handout and paper to work on, and model it. It was way easier. I guess that is why my original lesson was so much harder to plan. I thought that I had to put a lot into each lesson.

And that is not true at all.

I have learned over the last few months that a lesson does not need to contain a PowerPoint and a huge activity and everything under the sun. You can be just as effective (perhaps even more so) with just the minimal amount of things passed out to students and a bit of creative work. And I know that I am so much less stressed that way.

And that’s a good thing, as I feel so much better when I am not worrying about every time, little thing. Nobody has time for so much worrying, especially not me.

No comments: