Monday, October 20, 2014

Self-Reflection

This blog post is just me reflected on the lesson (or lessons) that I taught in our methods class the last two weeks. I now know that my first lesson I taught on annotation was not the right kind of lesson for this particular assignment, but I must say, I thought it went very well. I thought this lesson was a good one because it contained authentic literacy. This is one of my favorite methods. I like how it eases students into accomplishing tasks on their own a little at a time. I also used modeling in this lesson when I annotated the monkey article for the class, and this is a wonderful thing to do. It shows the students EXACTLY what you want them to do. So yes. This lesson was not fit for the assignment, but the methods that I used were good ones.

The last lesson I taught on Step Up To Writing went really well too. I LOVE Step Up To Writing. That's probably an understatement, actually. I've seen it work with my 9th graders, and it made me so happy, especially since I was beginning to lose hope for them. I thought this lesson went so well because of how wonderfully it breaks up students' writing. It gives them a framework to stay in when they write, and students that are new to writing really need this to help them format their work. I also used modeling with this lesson when I taught it in methods and when I actually taught it to my 9th grade students, and that worked wonderfully. I think it worked so well because students saw that I am willing to do what I ask them to do, and to be honest, I felt like it put us all on the same level for a moment. I think this help motivate my students.

Both of the lessons I taught in methods were lessons that I actually taught to my 9th graders. I saw them work in the classroom. Sure, I had some students struggle. That's reality. But I am very happy to see that both of these lessons gave my students a boost in the way they read and write, and with a class as behind as this one is, I need all of the boosts I can get.

No comments: