Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Accommodations

As I am sloooooooooowly assuming responsibilities in my 10th grade class, I'm finding it very difficult to teach those students who have learning accommodations in the classroom. Since most of the students are on close to the same level, I find myself teaching more toward them rather than toward the lower level minority.

I have one student in particular that asks me to explain quetsions from the book in further detail or explain a passage from an Accelerated Reader book. When I do so, he still finds it hard to understand. I try to break it down to the lowest level I possibly can and he still struggles to understand.

I hope as time goes on I will get better at breaking things down. I would hate for students to struggle or make poor grades just because I cannot break it down to their level.

1 comment:

Tammy Gillmore said...

You might try asking the student to take notes while reading...maybe use sticky notes to highlight key info. Would help in retaining the info.

Would a graphic organizer work with such students?