Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Oh, the Stress!

Stress is the middle name of interning...okay, maybe stress is the first and the last name...with some good times placed in the middle (you just got to love seven graders, right?!).

Reflection time with a little hope mixed in...
When I student-taught (as we called it then) for what was Arkansas College (okay, I'm a traditionalist, for there's a part of me that will always belong to good ol' AC!), I spent one semester in the classroom...every day, all day. (As we discussed last week, perks do exist to both ways.)

My classroom: English 10 at Batesville High School

My memories from interning include
  1. returning to BHS and walking into "my" classroom...nearly twenty years later! At that time, it was still an English class; now, drama and oral com have moved in.
  2. my mentor teacher Mrs. Kimes having to have surgery...and my becoming THE teacher.
  3. meeting some great kids...those adults I now meet and greet as I see them at Wal-Mart and sporting events and could it be...their children walking through my classroom door?
  4. copying all Mrs. Kibe's resources that I could get my hands on!
  5. learning more about teaching in that one semester than all my college classes had taught me.

Number five is where the hope lies, for with application comes learning and retention.

My hope? That this class will be one of those tools that makes this internship be less stressful.

Keep me posted!

No comments: